For 2020 FlyBy Week there are more than 20 routes to choose from. Each is
available as a printable PDF file that includes a map and turn-by-turn route
instructions, plus an individual Garmin GPX format file. Most routes are
broken into at least two parts to avoid navigation confusion with closed loops
and roads that would otherwise cross or the same road ridden in both
Part 1 takes you from the hotel to the suggested lunch stop. Part 2 takes
you from lunch back to the hotel, usually by a different path.
All routes have had gas stop waypoints added at distances of 80-100 miles
To make it easier to choose from the many routes available, each has been
given one of the four following Route Types: Destination, Curvy, Twisty
· DESTINATION routes include parks such as Holly River state park in WV,
New River Bridge and gorge etc.
· CURVY routes are easier for big touring bikes
· TWISTY routes have sharp curves, elevation changes and are best for
sport-touring and sport bikes.
· ADVENTURE routes utilize mostly dirt and gravel roads. They do not
contain any single-track, steep or extremely rough roads- most have been
graded this season and are suitable for all dual-sport and adventure bikes
regardless of size or tire selection.
· SHORT ROUTES are 50 -120 miles in length. They are based on longer
routes, shortened to be able to be ridden in 3 hours or less.
There three ratings for Navigation Difficulty: Simple, Average and
· SIMPLE routes follow main roads and have a smaller number of
· AVERAGE routes can have a lengthy list of instructions, but roads are
generally well marked and easy to follow
· TECHNICAL routes can be complex and include roads that are poorly
marked. Paper turn-by-turn instructions are provided for them, but a GPS
with the route loaded in it is highly recommended.